Whether you are a new or, existing patient we want to let you know that in addition to all the steps we take to provide high-quality dental care we have taken many steps to ensure the security of your medical history, personal and financial information.
The unfortunate truth is that it seems almost daily we hear reports that detail cyber attacks and security breaches of credit card companies and payment processors.
So, what does Peace Haven Family Dentistry do to ensure the security of your information?
Patient Records are Physically Secured in Lockable File Cabinets
In addition to the physical security of patient records, we have electronic fire/security alarm systems in place. To complement these precautions we also have physically controlled access to our waiting area as well as a separate entrance and exit for patients. These separate doorways give our patients an additional layer of privacy when discussing account, billing and information update changes.
Electronic Records – HIPPA and HITECH
HIPPA and HITECH are two separate sets of regulations that govern patient data. HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996), which covers our dental practice and regulates how we use and disclose protected health information (PHI); and the HITECH Act (Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act of 2009), which works in tandem with HIPAA and controls with whom we can share this information.
Additional Protections for Your Electronic Health Records
We take your protected health information seriously and follow the most stringent protocols to electronically protect your health information from disclosure or, unauthorized duplication. Our own access to your patient information is safeguarded using SSL and 128-bit encryption. In addition, all vendors that interact with protected health information are background checked and are also held accountable to HIPPA and HITECH standards.
Some Suggestions for Safe Guarding Your Own Sensitive Information
Information technology professionals generally recommend the following safeguards to your sensitive information
- Limit the disclosure of your Social Security number to those entities that must have it.
- Each website or, online service you use should have a unique password with no repeating passwords among services utilized.
- Use a paper shredder (cross-cut type are preferred) to dispose of confidential information like bank account numbers, forms with social security numbers and credit card numbers/receipts that are no longer needed.
- If shopping online ensure the site is secure and prominently displays the security in the address bar.
- If paying by credit card/debit card for gas, ensure the gas dispenser’s card reader is secure and can not be wiggled/removed.
- Access and review your free credit report often for the presence of unauthorized new credit cards/lines of credit.
- Don’t accept calls or, give out sensitive information to strangers or, service providers who you’ve never done business.
About Peace Haven Family Dentistry
At Peace Haven Family Dentistry in Winston- Salem, we provide high-quality dental care in a gentle and efficient manner. We specialize in a wide range of comprehensive dental services and the use of the latest technologies including same day CEREC crowns, Invisalign, root canals and dental implants. We are conveniently located off Peace Haven Road at 1086 Whitaker Road in Winston-Salem, NC 27106.